Tuesday, March 08, 2011

story time - silly animal encounters

Children Make Terrible Pets by Peter Brown - This would probably have been a better lap book than story time book, but since it was the first story I did, the kids paid a lot of attention to Lucy and Squeaker. The older kids in the group really liked it.

A Girl and Her Gator by Sean Bryan - I think the kids thought this was a bit too weird haha. The rhymes are cute and the illustrations are fun, but at this point the wiggles were starting to show on the younger ones...

Move Over, Rover! by Karen Beaumont - this was a HUGE hit! I told the kids they had to help me out and shout "Move over, Rover!" at the end of each page. Oh they LOVED it! Def. remembering this one for a repeat performance.

BINGO (Children's Favorites Volume 2 - Walt Disney Records) - I picked this recording because it's the same one I had as a kid (except mine was on a bright orange cassette instead of a CD). BINGO is a HUGE crowdpleaser. Might save this CD for emergencies when I'm losing the crowd and just need to burst into some sort of movement/song.

Millie Waits for the Mail by Alexander Steffensmeier - Librarian favorite, great illustrations and silly story. I was worried it might be too long to do this far into the story time but the kids really liked it!

YUCK! by Mick Manning - Another good one when you want audience participation. The kid's got to scream "YUCK!" at the end of each page, which describes something a baby critter might eat (beetles, spiders, rats) and then ends with a human baby drinking milk (YUM!) They seemed to enjoy this too.

Felt a lot of wiggles still so I decided to do my old standby, which I love to sing and dance to:

Clap Your Hands by David Ellwand - It's "If You're Happy And You Know It"! I've done this one so many times but it's always a big hit. Helped the kids get out their wiggles and then we did the craft.

Looking back, I could probably have gotten away with one more story/song, but the littlest members of the group were getting a bit too loud and I didn't want to have to read over them again. I had a few more in my bag (5 Little Monkeys, Bear Went over the Mountain, Nobody's Nosier Than a Cat) so if I repeat this storytime again, I will remember to just keep going!
Post a Comment