Wednesday, October 20, 2010

storytime - just plain weird!

For my final storytime of 2010, I took all the weird books that I ran out of time for or did not fit into a theme and did them as one big old weird storytime! I think it went well. Here are the titles:

Barry, the Fish with Fingers by Sue Hendra - All the other fish are bored until Barry shows up with his amazing FINGERS! The kids seemed to enjoy this one, though now I wish I had played up the "what can you do with fingers?" page and had the kids do it with me. I'll remember that for next time.

Jeremy Draws a Monster by Peter McCarty - Jeremy is a bit of a shut-in so one day he draws himself a companion - a big blue monster. Unfortunately, the monster is REALLY bossy! He demands that Jeremy draw all kinds of things to keep him amused. I gave the monster a kind of goofy voice so the kids wouldn't be too worried about him.

Leonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo Willems - oh you knew this was coming! I can't do a storytime without Mo! I brought my Leonardo puppet down to the storytime with me. He tried to scare everyone by popping out from behind the book every now and then. He also spazzed out any time he was spazzing in the book. They really liked that.

SONG: I Know An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly (with feltboard!) - used a recording that I think it Paul Stookey (Peter, Paul, and Mary) but I think I should have just acapella'd it.

I'd Really Like to Eat a Child by Donnio Sylviane - Achilles the Crocodile is fed bananas for breakfast every day but one morning he wakes up and tells his parents he wants to eat a child. They try to feed him other (non-living) things but Achilles insists. Eventually he encounters a child, but things don't go as planned. I think some of the kids thought this was hilarious while others were mortified.

Bark, George by Jules Feiffer - classic picture book time! Might as well go out with a guaranteed hit! As usual, the kids loved this one. By the end, I had them helping out by shouting out which animal the doctor would pull out of George next.

Craft: Silly Masks on paper plates.

Next up: Babies in Bloom!
Post a Comment