Tuesday, October 12, 2010

storytime - BFFs!

Kind of a random theme for today's storytime - Best Friends! Yes, it may have just been that I wanted to read Elephant & Piggie because I LOVE READING ELEPHANT & PIGGIE! You get to be so OVER the Top with them. But it wasn't all Mo!

Duck and Goose by Tad Hills - they may start out as strangers but after a harrowing few days together guarding an abandoned "egg", Duck and Goose end the story as buddies. The kids seemed really into this one but it is quite a long story which is why I started off with it. Should have created some better voices for Duck, Goose, and Blue Bird. Maybe next time.

Dog and Bear: Two Friends, Three Stories by Laura Vaccaro Seeger: Three short stories (really short, it's a picture book!) about Dog & Bear. But even though they are short, there is a lot of humor. Just make sure the kids can see the illustrations as a lot of the jokes are in the pictures.

Won't You Be My Hugaroo? by Joanne Ryder: Very sweet story about hugs! I prefaced the book by saying that some of the best things about friends is that you can get free hugs from them. Heard lots of "aawww" sounds like reading and I know some of the kids were getting hugs as I went through it.

My Friend is Sad by Mo Willems: One of my favorite Elephant & Piggie books. These are always a bit tricky to do because they are very small books. But I love to read them because Gerald (the elephant...get it, Elephant Gerald...just say it outloud) and Piggie (that's her name) are so EXPRESSIVE! I had the kids identify what Piggie dressed up as to cheer up Gerald so it there was a bit of interaction.

SONG TIME! John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt (his name is my name too, so we MUST be friends...I was surprised the kids did not know this one) and Knick-Knack Paddy Whack (which has very little to do with friends, but if an old man is playing Knick-Knack Paddy Whack on your toes, knees, 'hind etc., I should hope you are at least acquaintances!) I used the Disney Children's Favorite Songs Vol 1 & 2 for this...mostly because I realized I had the exact same album on cassette when I was a kid...

Can I Play Too? by Mo Willems: It's my storytime so I can read all the Mo Willems I want! Plus, I wanted to see how the kid's reacted when the snake crawled onto the page and asked to play. It went over well, but they were starting to get the wiggles so that means CRAFT TIME!

I downloaded a picture of Elephant & Piggie from Elephant & Piggie Event Kit on Mo Willem's official website. I enlarged the images and then photocopies Gerald on a lavender paper and Piggie onto pink paper. I made an example with clothes colored onto them and stuck them on popscicle sticks. I told the kids that they should put them in their favorite outfits and think of a new story/adventure for them to go on! It actually went over really well!
Post a Comment