Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Storytime - FROGS!

Let me tell you, FROGS are the way to go with preschoolers. All the stories about frogs are silly and the frogs are always getting into trouble of some sort. Plus, jumping!

The Frog with the Big Mouth by Teresa Bateman, Illustrated by Will Terry
Kicked things off with this story, which is a little on the long side, but it has a very simple pattern as the frog jumps from place to place to brag about his big mouth. The kids identified the big cat at the end as a cheetah, but the book called him a jaguar (since we're in the Brazilian rainforest). I probably butchered the names of some of the other animals native to Brazilian jungles, but the kids didn't seem to notice...

City Dog, Country Frog by Mo Willems, Illustrated by Jon J. Muth
This was the first storytime I had used this book for. I think the older kids enjoyed it, but the the littler kids got bored pretty quickly. Halfway through I started to panic about the ending (since Frog does not appear after winter) but I just put the emphasis on Dog finding a new friend.

Jump! by Scott M. Fischer
By this time, the kids are getting pretty wiggly, so I tell them to stand up because I need their help with this book! I have them practice "JUMP!" on my cue and it goes well, so then I have them jump along with the story (which happens at every page turn). THEY LOVED IT! This might need to live on the storytime shelf.

Jumping & Counting (Jim Gill's Irrational Anthem and more Salutes to Nonsense)
My co-worker LOVES Jim Gill when it comes to storytimes. I asked her for some jumping songs and she handed me this CD. The only issue I had was that the little girl was SO much quieter and she counted REALLY SLOW so the kids were usually done the "Counting" portion of the song before she was. But they were totally into it, as there was a collective "AAAAAAAAWW!" when Jim tells them all to "sit down again" after counting to ten! LOL!

A Frog in the Bog by Karma Wilson; Illustrated by Joan Rankin
A bit more counting in this one as the Frog in the Bog on the Half Sunk Log stuffs her face with all the bugs. Got a few "eeeewww!"s from the kids as I read about the frog "slurping slugs".


Five Green and Speckled Frogs by Priscilla Burris

So, this was a bit embarrassing -- I had never heard this song before. Heather sang it for me really quick the day before and I thought I remembered the melody, but from the "wtf?" looks I got from the kids, I realized I was WAY off. Whoops! Sorry kids! They endured though.

And I rewarded them with a craft!!! Making their own frog puppet!
Post a Comment