Saturday, June 06, 2009

High School Booktalk list

Here are the books I actually talked about at the high school. Let me tell you, I now have these talks memorized after doing them every half-hour for 2 days straight!

The Death of Jayson Porter by Jaime Adoff

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong (pushed as a Twilight Read-Alike)

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway (Everybody LOVED this cover, it was usually one of the first books the teens asked to hear about)

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell (Another cover that caught people's eyes. Here's hoping they can remember the title!)

Being by Kevin Brooks

She’s So Money by Cherry Cheva (the title and the cover got a lot of attention)

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins (I talked the heck out of this one because I really think its gonna be the next big thing. I ended the talk with a "if you like excitement, adventure, and people getting run through with spears - give this a try!" which the boys liked)

Little Brother by Cory Doctorow

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle (movie tie-in made this fun to talk, esp. poking fun at Hayden Pantierre playing a cheerleader AGAIN! I also showed them the pictures of Denis from the cover and then later on when he's bruised and covered in food. Compared it to Superbad.)

Beastly by Alex Flinn (Twilight Read-Alike)

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman (rec. audiobook)

A Hole in my Life by Jack Gantos (YA biography)

A Treasury of Victorian Murder by Rick Geary (I think the teachers were more interested in this, but I still had fun saying it was all TRUE and doing the Lizzie Borden rhyme)

Evernight by Claudia Gray (Twilight Read-Alike)

Repossessed by A.M. Jenkins

Just After Sunset by Stephen King (short stories; rec. audiobook, always mentioned the disgusting Port-O-Potty story for the boys)

No Choirboy by Susan Kuklin (YA non-fiction, another popular cover)

How to Dith your Fairy by Justine Larbalestier

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart
(I was surprised by how many people asked to hear about this one because of the cover, though many mocked the Bassett Hound as the groups mascot)

Wake by Lisa McMann

Bonechiller by Graham Mcnamee

King Dork by Frank Portman

The Forest of Hands & Teeth by Carrie Ryan
(ZOMBIES! Always popular.)

Unwind by Neal Shusterman (harvesting organs always got their attention)

Boot Camp by Todd Strasser (another good one for the boys, I always ended this talk by saying the last page is the most disturbing part - the author cites his sources - it's based on fact!)

Runaways by Brian K. Vaughan (YA graphic novel; we all assume our parents are evil at least once, but what if you found out they really were? I think the teens appreciated that I talked about a comic book series)

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
(I was hesitant to talk this book because of its thickness but the cover made the teens ask for it and mentioning that Death was the narrator got their attention - even the girl who had been rolling her eyes at my for most of the time actually wrote down the title!)
Post a Comment