Monday, May 11, 2009

8th grade booktalks

Last week I visited one of the local middle schools and told them about the Summer Reading Progam, then filled the rest of the hour by talking about books! Here are the titles I booktalked (asteriks denote titles that the kids actually came into the library and asked for the next day!):

Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway*
What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell*
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins*
Little Brother by Cory Doctorow
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
Treasury of Victorian Murder true crime graphic novel series by Rick Geary*
- The Saga of the Bloody Benders
- The Beast of Chicago
Dead Girls Don’t Write Letters by Gail Giles
Right Behind You by Gail Giles
Evernight by Claudia Gray (Twilight read-alike)
The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart*
Bonechiller by Graham McNamee
Evermore by Alyson Noel* (Twilight Read-alike)
Boot Camp by Todd Strasser
Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

I had read most of these. The only titles I booktalked that I had not read (Audrey and the two Twilight readalikes), my fellow librarian/friend Amy had read so I had her write up the booktalks for me, which went pretty well. Halfway through booktalking "Right Behind You" I realized I really didn't like the book and that I couldn't really booktalk it so I stopped.

I read aloud from Graveyard Book in all 3 sessions (the first chapter up until the first break), Audrey, Wait in 2 sessions (the song reveal scene, stopping before I would have to sing!), Litter Brother in 2 sessions (Marcus and friends are picked up by the DHS after the attack) and Hunger Games in the last session because the book was checked out until then (the first few pages of chapter 11, when the games start)!

I've decided I need to find a few more boy friendly books for my next visit, I had far too many girls books, or girls were the main protagonists which is always a red flag for male readers. I think I also need a couple more "normal teen doing normal things" books - all of mine seemed to have dark themes or were just goofy. I don't read a lot of books like that though...or most of the ones I have read and enjoyed are for older high school teens.

But, I'm in luck because next up are the local High School booktalks!
Post a Comment