Wednesday, October 01, 2008

training training training

Well, it has been a very busy couple of days and I am totally wiped out. The weirdest part is that I've been in training, which means sitting in a room and being talked at a lot. Most of it is stuff I'm already familiar with. I'm so itching to get out onto the desk and be a librarian again.

There's a small pile of papers on my desk at work with meeting minutes and such. Looks like I'll be playing an active part in the collection development process when it comes to the YA collection. "Active" meaning they send in lists of items that need to be repurchased every few months. HCPL still has branch by branch collections instead of a shared collection like AACPL has, so I'll have to get used to that. Both forms have their advantages and disadvantages.

I learned how to navigate their catalog system. They are using Horizon, which is made by SIRSI, the same people that made Workflows, which is what I've been using for the past 4 years. A few similarities, more so with the new version of workflows that I saw briefly before leaving my LA position. A few more ways to narrow your search, which is always helpful.

One of the librarians is planning a Beatles program for November. I'm so going to try to help out with that because The Beatles pretty much got me where I am today. Talk about full circle! Anyway, need to brainstorm up some activities for that.

Tomorrow, I think I get to actually work the desk for a little bit instead of just shadowing. Here's hoping that there are not any microfilm questions. *shudders at thought of fiddling with that machine*
Post a Comment